Theodore Kim, B.S., Cornell University, M.S., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Ph.D., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Joined Yale Faculty 2019.
Prof. Kim researches topics in physics-based simulation, including fire, water, and humans. His work has appeared in over two dozen movies, and received a 2012 SciTech Oscar. Many of the results can be seen on YouTube, and extensive source code is available on this page. Previously, he was a Senior Research Scientist at Pixar Research, where he received screen credits in Cars 3, Coco, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4. His first (uncredited) work appeared on-screen on the Sorting Hat in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- Analytic eigensystems for isotropic distortion energies. Breannan Smith, Fernando de Goes, and T. Kim. ACM Transactions on Graphics, February 2019.
- Stable neo-hookean flesh simulation. Breannan Smith, Fernando de Goes, and T. Kim. ACM Transactions on Graphics, March 2018.
- Quaternion julia set shape optimization. T. Kim. Symposium on Geometry Processing (SGP) 2015.
- Wavelet turbulence for fluid simulation. T. Kim, Nils Thürey, Doug James, and Markus Gross. ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH) 2008.
- Optimizing cubature for efficient integration of subspace deformations. Steven An, T. Kim, and Doug James. ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH Asia) 2008.
- Modeling ice dynamics as a thin film stefan problem. T. Kim, David Adalsteinsson, Ming Lin. Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) 2006.